With our unhealthy lifestyles, junk food, increase in stress levels, and no time for exercise diabetes has become common.It is affecting us at a much younger age than earlier. Kids have no time to go outside and play outdoor games and elders have no time to do exercises and no way of avoiding stress.
But here is the good news; a person once diagnosed with diabetes can lead a near normal life. So all that is to be done is some lifestyle changes .The most important thing is to lose weight, but you don’t have to lose lots of kilos to start reaping the benefits. Experts say that losing just 5% to 10% of your total body weight can help you lower your blood sugar levels considerably, increasing the insulin sensitivity in the cells, and as well as lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Losing weight and eating healthier have effect on mood, energy levels and also make you feel good and confident about yourself.
Regular yoga practice helps in reducing sugar levels in blood as well as other symptoms of diabetes. Stress is one of the major reasons for this disease. It increases the secretion of glucagon in the body which increases blood sugar level. The consistent practice of yoga asana and meditation helps to reduce stress and also to improve the action of insulin. Since we know obesity is one of the major factors responsible for diabetes, to reduce weight Surya Namaskar and Kapal bhati pranayam are some of the most effective yoga poses known.
2. Kapal Bhati pranayam.
In Sanskrit ‘Kapal’ means the skull and ‘Bhati’ means to shine or illuminate.
Kapalbhati is one of the six Shatkarmas or methods of internal purification in Hatha yoga.
Kapalbhati is a breathing technique where rapid inhalation and exhalation is done.
Exhalation is forceful and rapid, while inhalation is normal. Exhalation is considered as the important Kriya in this asana as it throws out the impure air from the lungs and deep inhalation increases the oxygen concentration in lungs. Kapalbhati has to be practiced in a very steady posture. The asanas which are most suited to maintain the posture during rapid breathing motion are Padmasana, Siddhasana and Vajraasana. While doing this practice the whole body vibrates so it is important that your body must be in locked position. Kapalbhati is reverse process of normal respiration where inhalation is the active process while exhalation is passive. In Kapalbhati, the abdominal muscles forcefully move inwards throwing the air out. While inhalation is done in a passive relaxed way to fill the lungs with fresh air. This is practiced without any gap between the two respirations.
When to do
· Kapalbhati should be practiced on an empty stomach.
· Early morning is considered the best time.
· A gap of 4hours is required after the last meal in case it has to be performed at any other time
How to do
· Sit in a steady posture that is Padmasana, Vajraasana or Siddhasana.
· Place the hands on the knees and breathe normally.
· Relax for few minutes
· Spine and head should be in straight position
· Now breathe the fresh air normally gradually increasing the speed, while exhalation being forceful. During inhalation fill the lungs with lots of fresh air gradually and during exhalation pull the belly inwards, forcing out the air from lungs.
· Initially starts with 10 rounds in one minute gradually a person can increases up to 60 rounds.
· After performing these asana relax and try to breathe normally.
· These asana can also be performed in multiple sittings that is one in the morning and one in the evening.
Benefits of Kapalbhati pranayam
· Strengthens abdominal muscles
· It improves oxygenation
· Can be done by anyone of any age. No age bar in practicing this asana.
· Kapalbhati should not be performed by person suffering from heart ailments.
· Those with stomach ulcers should do it with caution
· A person suffering from high blood pressure, stroke or epilepsy should avoid this.
· If one has gone through any recent surgery of the thorax and abdomen, should avoid the practice.
· Pregnant women need to do it with caution and slowly.
· Avoid doing in menstrual cycle.